Nagpur General Post Office building declared a national monument.
The General Post office (GPO) building at civil Lines here, which is marvelous example of British architecture, has been declared as a national heritage monument by the Government of India.
The orders to this effect was issued by the Ministry of Communication in a letter number 51-1/92/BP, dated February 23,1994 on the recommendations of the Archaeology department under Ministry of Human Resource Development. Now, in all 33 offices of the Postal department in the country have been declared as a national monuments. The red building in front of Nyaya mandir which the office of the director of Audit (postal) is housed, has already been declared as a national monument.
The construction work of the GPO building had started in 1916-17 and was completed in 1920-21. The double storied building was constructed on 9.5 acre land. The total built up area is about 26,622 square feet. The total amount spent at that time for the construction was 5,07,201. The building also has a residential quarter of the post master. Just in front of the building there is a well maintained garden. The pattern of construction, particularly the architectural members of the great buildings at the national capital, resemble that of GPO building.
The building has fine edged brick walls, strong lime concrete iron columns and beams.
The wooden ceiling fitted with roof tiles, gives it an attractive look. In the main building, there are big verandahs. Its beautiful tower is based on 12 columns and is fitted with a big clock.
Today, about 500 persons work in the GPO, postal stock depot and Mail Motor service.
In 1965, this office came under the jurisdiction of the Post Master General (PMG) Maharashtra circle.