Nagpur City has the history of 300 years plus when it was the capital of Gond Rajas Buland Shah Baksh. Nagpur was one of the major centre with capital even during British regime. The present Mayo Hospital came into existence in 1862 and was known as “City Hospital”. A medical school was started in 1914 in that hospital and was under Nagpur Education Board. It was named after Mr.Robertson the then Joint Commissioner of Central Province. School was conducting L.M.P. Diploma Course. At that time there was no Medical College for higher studies and the students of Nagpur had to go out for Medical Education. Nagpur became the important centre for education by establishing Nagpur University in 1923. C.P.Berar Government had made arrangement for higher medical education at G.S.(KEM) Medical College, Mumbai and Nil Ratan Sorcar Medical College, Calcutta. This facility was available only for 10-12 students every year and many students could not make it. Hence there was constant demand for independent Medical College in this region.The working council of Nagpur University had appointed a committee in 1943 to explore the feasibility to start Medical College in the Central Provinces. The committee recommended positively. But due to second world war these recommendations could not be implemented. As soon as the second world war was over, Government of CP and Berar had taken up firm step in June 1948 and requested Dr.Jiwraj Mehta the then Dean, G.S.Medical College, Mumbai to suggest a suitable location for the proposed Medical College. He studied various locations around Nagpur and selected an open ground (Present Premises) opposite Rajabaksha. While justifying the selection of present site, he said he had specially considered the population of needy and the poor residents around the area, which in turn would become the clinical material for the students of Medical College. The land was belonging to Lt.Col.K.V.Kukdey, the then chairman of Nagpur Improvement Trust who offered the land for this nobel purpose. Immediately within a short time the construction was started on 2nd January 1948.