Resume is the first selling proposition of a candidate. Its the first source of introduction to the prospective employer. Its necessary to keep few points in mind while preparing resumes for job application. Introduce yourself in a better way and get a chance to face the interview.
Points to be kept in mind while preparing resumes -
1)Write a targeted resume according to the nature of the job if you have too many job experiences. Write specific resume for every job. No generic resume.
2) Write about all the good work which you did for the organization. For example how you addressed a problem and found out a solution.
3) If a person has worked for a single company for 20 to 30 years. He can mention different positions which he held in the company.
4) Avoid Negativity - in interview and resume. No negative communication of any information of the previous company and no negative information about yourself.
5) No Pictures - Avoid attaching any snap of yours until specifically asked for it.
6) Don’t mess up your resume. Write about your qualifications and work experience in bullet points. Don’t mention in paragraphs. Its should be neat and clean and easily visible.
7) If you are yet to complete your studies and applying for job. You can mention estimated date of completion.
8) Sell yourself better.
9) Don’t lie about any job experience and don’t play with past experiences. HR does reference checks and if you are caught you will be in big trouble.
10) Get your resume checked by someone else. This will act as proof reading and will avoid mistakes if any in resume.
11) Make one or two pages resume. Avoid making lengthy 4 to 5 pages resume.
12) Don’t use Coloured papers to print resume. Use plain white A4 sheet.
13) Update your resume regularly.
14) Avoid lots of technical jargons and short form initials because a non technical person may not understand it.
15) No fancy Coloured fonts should be used in online resume.
16) Avoid spelling mistakes and other grammatical errors.
17) Don’t forget to sign your resume.
18) Provide correct contact information with address, phone number and email id.
19) Don’t include irrelevant information.
20) Don't include on your resume your height, weight, age, date of birth, place of birth, marital status, sex, ethnicity/race, health.
Keep the above points in mind and explore the real corporate world with your power packed resume.
By Rashmi Priya